Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Worst.Movie.Ever.

Last weekend I went back to AZ to spend some quality time with my family. My mom was recovering from having her appendix removed, so I picked up a couple of movies that I thought she might enjoy. OK, one movie that was for her, and 'Batman Begins' for me (Christian Bale = YUM).
So aMOMymous and I settled in to watch '27 Dresses' - not expecting much other than a breezy romcom, just what we needed. About halfway through the movie, I could no longer contain myself and just started yelling at the screen. "Are you effing kidding me???" aMOMymous turned around and said, "Oh thank God - this is the worst movie I have ever seen." My sister chimed in and said, "yeah, I should have warned you that this sucks."
Now I have some pretty crappy movie taste. I own 'Like Mike' with Lil' Bow Wow, and 'Spirit, Stallion of the Cimmarron' and I can pretty much recite all of 'The Cutting Edge' - but this, this '27 Dresses' was simply too awful. I can't even touch on how horrid the acting was, and really, I wasn't expecting much, but at one point I wondered if the kid sister was on drugs because she kept twitching - I then realized it was her attempt at enthusiasm. But what really irked me more than anything else were the absolutely trite notions spewed forth about the "right" type of wedding and how important that ceremony is to all reasonable women.
Really?
The only character who questions the whole wedding industry and the commercialization of "love" is mocked and of course realizes that all he needed was the *perfect woman* - duh! See, this is why I think marriages fail. People are so in love with the idea of "love" and the perfect wedding that they forget all about actually having a relationship. You don't have to have a white dress and a diamond ring and an overpriced cake to be in love. And don't even get me STARTED on being "given away" - shudder.
I don't hate weddings. In fact two of my best friends are getting married this summer and I couldn't be happier for them - and part of the reason for that happiness is that I know they actually DO think about their relationships, and realize that the wedding is an important ceremony and recognition of the love that they work on every day. I just hate this movie for perpetuating this country's stupidest "norms" that are put into place to feed the giant wedding industry.
And? Who on earth would root for Heigl's character? No one is going to help you not be a doormat, sweetheart. So enough romcom's for me. I will gladly return to my animated flicks where characters actually have backbone and plan on breaking the rules rather than adhering to inanity.

And end rant - just warn me before I pick up another crap movie like this.

5 comments:

eddie said...

Oh the humanity. Next time you're about to pick a movie out like that, shoot me a text and I'll be certain to text-slap you back to your senses.

And I couldn't agree with you more about stereotypical weddings - so far off the point of what a marriage should be about (ignoring all religious connotations, obvs.) - yay for HASWOE and me getting married in Jamaica where it was just the two of us, focusing on just the two of us.

23 more days until The Dark Knight . . . Eeeeeeeeek! (and I've still avoided seeing a trailer!)

The Artful Blogger said...

I beg to differ. "Speed Racer" is worse...much much much worse....right, Eddie?

eddie said...

Um, well let's put it this way, if you played both movies in the same room at the same time, the Earth would implode on itself, and life as we know it would turn into a speed-racing wedding dress, spinning around the universe, vomiting up insane planets of mind-numbing pain. Mmhmm. True story.

The Enabler said...

Toepick...

Anonymous said...

It can't be worse than THE HAPPENING. Just can't be.