Saturday, September 13, 2008

On hurricanes . . .

Don't misinterpret the following comments. Because I understand that many people have been simply unable to flee the path of an oncoming hurricane. And in NOLA during Katrina, there were clearly aspects of race, poverty, and social justice all at odds with the evacuation. And I am NOT referring to those who suffered (and are still suffering) the effects of that disaster.
I am speaking here of those who choose to stay in a mandatory evacuation zone in Ike's path; those who told reporters, "I've always wanted to sit through a hurricane!" or "Last time traffic was sooooo annoying, I would rather sit and drink a beer" or any other random reason that I saw listed by those interviewed who were capable of leaving, who knew Ike was coming and knew they should leave but didn't. And now they are waiting for rescuers, people who are busting their asses and risking their own safety to help those who could have helped themselves in the first place. It really pisses me off.
In AZ, in a posted "Flash Flood" zone, if you drive your car into a wash during heavy rain and get stuck, the fire department will still come rescue you. But you know what? They charge you for that rescue, because you risked your life and that of the officers who had to abandon the other things they could have been doing to save your dumb ass who went into a flood on purpose (and the people in the news helicopters will mock you, and me too).
So for those who wanted to party through Ike, and who didn't board up their homes and who needed to be pulled out of their own idiocy, I hope you say a big "thanks" to those working to help you. Because if it were me, I might kick you in the shins.

To everyone else, Murphy and I hope you pull through and wish you the best.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here, here!
Aye, aye!
Amen...
or whatever the hell is the appropriate way to say, "I agree!"